Sunday, May 7, 2017

Deleting Azure Resources when portal is stuck and unable to acquire token for subscription

So that's a long headline!
I recently had some issues trying to delete a resource in one of my resource groups in Azure, and when I decided to try and use powershell to do it I ran into more problems. So here is a short recap of what I did, in case somebody else runs into the same issues.

Background:
I have both an MPN account for my own company and an MSDN account from a company I work for, both are connected to the same Microsoft ID but are different subscriptions on different tenants.

So here's my issue. I wanted to delete some old resoures in the Azure portal so save some of my dev credits, but whenever I opened the resources in the portal they were just stuck loading forever.
After two days of this I got fed up and decided to fix it with powershell (which I probably should have been doing in the first place.
So what I did was fire up powershell, and run the following lines:

Import-Module Azure
Login-AzureRmAccount
Get-Subscription

And that produced the following error:
WARNING: Unable to acquire token for tenant 'xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx'

So first I was met with one issue, then a new one when I tried the other, recommended path of fixing things.
Luckily for me this annoyed me, so I did some very quick google searching to find a workaround to get my workaround fixed, so I simply did this to log in instead:

Login-AzureRmAccount -TenantId 'xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Get-Subscription


And voilá! The subscription was available and everything was working fine.
And just to clearify how to delete the resources, just run the following commands

Get-AzureRmResource
Remove-AzureRmResource

Nothing big, but here's the entire solution in one blog post. Also, I'm a much happier man now with plenty of credits left on his Azure subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment